The very first blog on this site was way, way, way back in… 2013. All right, so maybe the site is not that old but you have to start somewhere.
That blog covered the replacement of the factory installed vanity seat with a full size cupboard, complete with sliding drawers. It has been a god send in terms of storage and led us to question the functionality of the shelf on the port side of the same cabin.
In the 2½ years since that project my wood working skills have not improved beyond butchery and we therefore reemployed the skills of a local carpenter.
I had a couple of design requirements which I discussed with him and these included…
- Replacement of an existing bookshelf that was installed post boat construction. The existing shelf was one tier and did not fit with the original build. It was attached to the bulkhead dividing the cabin from the forward shower. The new shelf would have 2 tiers, one for larger books and one for smaller.
- Strengthening of the original port side shelf that runs the length of the cabin against the hull. It is 55 inches long and only supported at either end. It had been carrying large books for over 20 years and had bowed in the middle.
- Build out of 2 cabinets on top of the newly strengthened port side shelf.
- Cedar lining at the back of the cabinet to keep clothing “fresh”. It would also prevent any sweating of the hull during cold seasons from reaching the clothes.
- The cabinets should leave full access to the chainplates for any servicing in the future.
- All woodwork to match the existing cabinetry.
I decided to carry out the removal of the old book shelf and strengthening of the port side shelf as that did not require any finishing skills 🙂 I removed all the books from the port side shelf and left it to settle for a week or so. I then propped it up from below until it measured level and marked the height of the underside of the shelf on the foam backed trim that is glued to the inside of the hull throughout most of the boat. With the shelf removed, I cut a section of the trim out which matched the size of teak support that I was going to use for the underside of the shelf. I removed all the backing foam, sanded and prepped the hull wall and mixed up my epoxy. I attached the teak strip and let it set for a few days. Once dry I tried to “tuck” the edges of the trim in as neatly as I could around the teak strip and reattached the shelf. It left as little puckering but not too much.
With that work done I handed over to the real wood worker and the results can be seen in the following pictures.