- 1-2 racks pork ribs (*see note below)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup apple juice , or ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke , optional
- 1 cup barbecue sauce , homemade or store-bought
- Remove membranes from the back of ribs, if needed.
- Rubs seasonings over both sides of ribs.
- Place wire trivet rack in the bottom of the instant pot.
- Add water, apple juice (or apple cider vinegar) and liquid smoke (optional, but recommended for that great smoky flavor).
- Place the ribs upright, with the meat side facing out. If you’re using one large rack of ribs, then circle them around the pot.
- Secure lid and cook on high pressure for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, allow the pressure to naturally release.
- Carefully remove ribs and slather them in BBQ sauce.
- Grill them for 2-3 minutes to caramelize the BBQ sauce.
*For spare ribs, add 5-10 minutes to the cooking time (high number for “fall-off-the-bone” ribs, lower number for tender ribs).